Thursday 23 May 2013

Is technology good for our health?

The world is moving at a great speed. The way things are done 100 years ago is different from the way they are done now. The interest of many people aren't the same it was 50 years ago. The desire, needs and want of the average man is different from what it use to be some few years back.


All this difference of variables in human is as a result of technology. Technology has made the kind of chairs we used 50 yrs ago different from what we use now. The kitchen wares, clothes, home appliances, means of advert and not to forget the size of the wallets and the bank account. These and more  are the achievement of technology.
The question remains 'is technology good for our health?
 I always want the latest cars, phones, television sets, radio sound system, satellite t.v, laptops, desktop PCs e.t.c. I go for the highest grade, spend fortune to maintain and run these gadgets. In my country there is always problem with electricity power supply and for the purpose of these gadgets, I purchased a generator set which I fuel every day, also i purchased an inverter which cost a fortune. I was about going to install a solar energy panel, when I had rethink of it all.  Is these healthy for me. Other than comfort ability and feeling cool, being among, socializing, being the talk of the town, what other benefits do i get from these.
At this point the question comes is it healthy for me?

I earn a salary of 70,000 naira per month and i have no other source of income. I am not married but I have siblings to take care of, to be precise 3 siblings.
My DSTV dish cost me 11,000 naira per month
My blackberry subscription cost me 1,500 naira  per month
Subscription on my android samsung galaxy s4, internet service provider, ipad cost 10,000  naira per month

Call card per month on my phone takes just 4,000  naira per month
To fuel my generator set and car cost nothing less than 20,000  naira per month.
The running cost is not too much compare to some other people I know. But the question remains 'is technology healthy?
whenever I am unable to meet these bills, demands when due I feel bad, I feel an emptiness and sometimes sick.
Note  there are other technology invention that equal to the task of the items mentioned above. For instance; satellite t.v startimes, gotv are almost equal to the task of DSTV dish and they cost as low as 1,000  naira. Moreso how many t.v stations can I watch at the same time?
At this point i remembered the saying of a wise man,'if what you do does not profit you, halt and look where you are coming from and where you are going'. Meaning if what you spend money on does not bring back money, fame and absolute satisfaction stop that mode of action. Look for alternative options.
Then I channeled all of that resources into money making ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment