Friday 17 May 2013

Iya Awero marks her 50th year on stage "June2"

On June 2, friends and families would gather at the Blue Roof, LTV 8, Lagos to celebrate with Olanrewaju
Hassan as she marks her 50th year on stage. In this interview with DOYIN ADEOYE, Iya Awero, as she is fondly called, shares her style, secret of success and her memories, among other things.

Background
I am Olanrewaju Hassan Adeshina, popularly known as Iya Awero. I am a Lagosian and I am from a polygamous home. My mother was from the Bankole Shonibare family in Lagos, while my grandmother was from the Kosoko family, so in a way, myself and Jide Kosoko are related.
Passion for theatre
I started acting in 1963, when I was in school. Back then, we would organise end of the year shows and that was when I developed the passion for theater. So in 1964, I joined a group with the likes of Ojo Ladipo, known as Baba Mero and Iya Mero then, it was called Young Stars Concert Party. But in 1966, to formalise the affairs of the group, we voted Ojo Ladipo as the leader and the name was then changed to Ojo Ladipo Theater Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment